Sunday, March 10, 2013


Three weeks into the semester and not too much is happening in the classroom.
The weather is getting nicer and soon I hope to do some field work. The lab is starting to look more like a building - I'm told it is the fastest construction has ever moved here.

the propagation class I'm helping out with

I've come up with a research idea. I want to work with the reclaimed water the school uses for irrigation. The plan is to use it in the greenhouse and look for effects on soil quality and plant growth. I am finalizing a proposal and hopefully I'll get things set up this week. 

I also get to propagate some seeds of my choosing. I'm leaning towards some flowers that could be planted on campus. The dorm gardens are pretty sad.

I was reminded this week that I should be applying for summer jobs. I had completely forgotten to do this last month like I had planned. Of course, the deadlines for the best internships are long past. I spent some time researching different places and looking for applications. I fired off about 10 this week and managed to get two rejection letters within the first 24 hours. It looks like I'll have to do a lot more this week.

I went back to Thermi to get more groceries. I found 48 lenta bread! It's not too bad either. My travelex stopped working, but luckily a credit card and some cash showed up in the mail the other day. So I won't starve and I can travel with the card.

It is carnival season and lots of little kids, and some big kids, don costumes. There was a BBQ at the dorm on thursday. Food, music, and most of the school were all there. Afterwards, I watched a soccer match at a friend's dorm room, ordered food, and eventually ended up going to Thermi for a while. It was an incredibly late night. I got to bed just before 6 a.m. How is it possible that my room mate still got home after me? Maybe by the end of the semester I'll be able to keep pace with everyone else.

boardwalk before it started raining

Yesterday, I went back to the city and walked around for a while. We didn't accomplish anything and then got rained on, but I did take some interesting photos of people in the city. My friend accused me of being more than a little creepy.


some guy


Next weekend I will travel to a small village with the dean of study abroad students and the american girl interning on the farm. I am definitely excited to get off campus for an extended period of time. We will be there for the last few days of carnival so there is sure to be a lot happening. 



Also here's a picture from the ski trip last weekend:


No comments:

Post a Comment