Saturday, March 30, 2013

Spring! or the last week and a half of my life


   Last Thursday, I made it back to the blues bar in Thessaloniki. There was some interesting takes on country songs, and Duck Soup was being projected on a wall. After they stopped playing I talked to their lead. He was very nice, plugged his band, and let me play his guitar. For dinner, I had two 80¢ hotdogs! They were disgusting. I convinced one of my friends to get a Guiness instead of the usual Amstel. He was skeptical at first, but very pleased with his new drink. It was a good way to start my long weekend.

   Monday the 25th was independence day. Most kids went home for the long break, so it was very quiet last weekend. I started my weekend by being productive. I swept and mopped my dorm, worked on job applications, and walked with Katie to Cosmos - the largest shopping mall in the Balkans. It took a while to get there because we were almost torn apart by a small bear pretending to be a dog. We had  to backtrack and find a new route. We ended up on a dirt road beside the highway, but we got to the mall intact. The mall is surprisingly big and practically brand new. I  checked out some book and music stores before heading back to campus. I had totally forgotten that on Friday dinner is at 7 and not 8, so we got to dinner an hour late. After being chastised by the lunch lady, we managed to get some food anyways.

   That night I finished my Lincoln bio, and since then I have been on a real reading kick. I tore through Camus' The Stranger and David Rakoff's Fraud in a day. On recommendation, I read Colin Beavan's No Impact Man. Since then I have felt guilty about my contribution to the end of the world. I have been taking shorter showers. Most recently, I read Ayn Rand's Anthem (probably  in an attempt to balance out all the environmentalism). I don't get why any one likes her. The writing is boring, the characters flat, and the story really left something to be desired. The message was being beaten into me on every page. Beavan was more subtle.

   Back in school Tuesday, I realized a couple things. First, my service learning project was not happening. Second, I have almost 10 papers to write in four weeks.
This past week, being assigned so many papers, I started outlining. Luckily, the longest few are only 1500 words… so it really isn't much work. This week also saw my first (and I think only) quiz!! It was not actually graded, and less than half the class showed up for it. It felt good to flex my brain muscle a little bit though

   This past Thursday, I went to a bouzoukia. It is large single room filled with long tables and chairs. There is a small stage crammed with a rebetiko band that plays all night while you dance, drink from bottomless retsina pitchers, and eat the endless stream of food provided - all for 8Eu! I went with the other American interns who had been there before. Besides us, there were a TON of highschool aged kids, and a few older men. There was a disco ball and light show thing happening. There was also a lot of dancing on chairs. It was definitely a unique experience.

   I have spent the rest of my weekend so far listening to new music, writing in my journal, and relaxing as much as possible. I went to the German Store and picked up some salami and cheese for sandwiches. It is a really good change from the cafeteria's fare.

   Last weekend I took a really good walk and saw some new places. I tracked down a lot of really good graffiti and picked the best for konnichiwaface.tumblr.com


   I am hoping that tomorrow or Monday the weather will be nice enough for another long walk. I went the long way yesterday to the Cosmos, but it's less fun in the fog. I wanted to buy sandals, but as soon as I got to the mall I felt super uncomfortable and guilty. Definitely related to No Impact Man. It was also related to the high price of designer sandals, the only thing sold there. I have been wondering if there are any locally-made-not-by-sweat-labor-and-crafted-from-renewable-resources-without-the-use-of-harmful-chemicals sandals in the area. They would probably bust my budget too though.

   The weather here has been almost as confusing as it is in Blacksburg! One day it is 70 and sunny, the next three days if is foggy and raining, and often times it is both in the same day. Today it is pretty foggy, which is why I'm writing this blog. I am trying to go to the city this afternoon to get those postcards I haven't been able to buy, and also to track down a Chinese restaurant that is supposed to be good. After I get some ethnic food in me, goal number two is to lock down plans for Istanbul next weekend. I got a good hostel recommendation and I found the ticket office for the bus line. It looks like I will finally get my trip to Turkey taken care of.

   
After that, I will start planning the Spring Break week before I come home in May. I'm thinking Mykonos, Santorini, Crete and then Athens for a flight home? It is strange to think that I'm more than half done with my semester. In some ways it seems like not enough time, but I definitely miss good ol' Murica.






No comments:

Post a Comment