Friday, April 12, 2013

Istanbul, Day 1


 I didn't manage to get much sleep that morning. As the backpackers got up and turned lights on and took showers and opened lockers and made just enough noise to keep me awake, I decided I would be better off just getting out of the hostel for a while. I asked the extremely helpful staff where I could change money, and they even marked the place with the best rates on a map for me. I set off hiking and realized just how central out location was. We were literally in the shadow of the Blue Mosque and within easy walking distance of the major tourist draws. This proved to be good for the first two days and a hassle once we wanted to venture out further.
   Once my travel partner got up, we headed back to the money changer and then straight to the Grand Bazaar. It was really cool at first, then you realize that every shop sells the same cheap tourist goods. There were a few gems though, and I got the buying things bug out of my system the first day. I snagged some good stuff, for I think about what they are actually worth. There was a lot of haggling, and that was so fun it was almost better than getting to take things home with me.




Egyptian Obelisk
   There are tons of historical monuments in the city. Some are free and some feel like Disney World with the lines and ticket costs… The Aya Sofia was a must, and the first thing we did. It was expensive and crowded, and I was a little underwhelmed with the interior. The architecture was pretty trashed during the conversion to mosque. The additions were clumsy and out of place. But I have to say, the history in the place is what it's really all about. Being a history nerd, I loved seeing the literal spot that Byzantine coronations went down.

Spot of Byzantine Coronations
  After doing the big tourist thing, we did the next bug tourist thing. We walked. We walked for a long time. It is the best way to see things of course, and there are lots of pictures. We picnicked in a park with some Turkish Delight and the last of my travel snacks. The parks in Istanbul are beautiful. The flower bed designs left a little to be desired, but we came at an excellent time. This is truly fate. It was the 8th Annual Istanbul Tulip Festival. Thirteen and a half million plus tulips were planted. That is about a flower for every resident of the city. I was in tulip heaven. Serendipity.
   Dinner was less than spectacular, we were in the tourist district after all. We resolved to find much better fare the rest of the trip. I broke down and got a Turkish coffee, can you blame me? I can't.
Street Scene

No comments:

Post a Comment